The heart of any good soondubu is a great chili oil base. Inspired by a mix of soondubu and Turkish eggs, this soondubu shakshuka recipe will "spice up" your Sunday brunch game.
Written by Doobydobap
The heart of any good soondubu is a great chili oil base. Inspired by a mix of soondubu and Turkish eggs, this chili oil shakshuka gcThis recipe is a great way to spice up (literally and figuratively) your Sunday brunch game.
(Serves 2 people)
¼ cup onion, finely diced
2 scallion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
½ cup oyster mushroom, diced
⅓ cup neutral oil
2 tbsp gochugaru (Korean Chili Flakes)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1-2 tbsp fish sauce (season to your liking)
¼ cup water
scallions for garnish
2 tbsp tofu mayonnaise or yogurt
- Heat a medium stainless steel pan on medium-high.
- Once the pan comes up to temperature, add oil and sauté onion, scallion, garlic, and mushroom.
- Once the onion becomes translucent and the mushroom becomes golden brown, drop the heat to low. Then add the gochugaru.
- Stir the ingredients together quickly so the gochugaru does not burn. The oil should turn into a scarlet hue at this point.
- While the oil is hot, drizzle in soy sauce and let it slightly burn. This step allows for more depth and smokiness in the chili oil.
- Add water to the chili oil to deglaze the pan. At this point, season the mixture with fish sauce, slightly saltier than your liking since the eggs will be going in.
- Once the mixture comes up to a simmer, create 4 holes in the pan, and carefully crack the eggs in.
- Heat on low until the whites on the eggs have set, for about seven minutes.
- Dollop a generous amount of the tofu aioli next to the eggs, garnish with chopped scallion and enjoy!
Hi, I’m Tina aka Doobydobap!
Food is my medium to tell stories and connect with people who share the same passion. My recipes are a culmination of my experiences. I hope you enjoy recreating them at home, and if you do, make sure to tag me on Instagram!
Hey Doobies, thanks for visiting! Join my mailing list for more delicious recipes and stories.