Vegan Tomato Cabbage Rolls
A vegan cabbage roll recipe that can be enjoyed by everyone that is just as good.
Written by Doobydobap
Vegan Tomato Cabbage Rolls
Doobies, you already know I’m the self-proclaimed cabbage queen. I’ve mentioned this before, but if I could be one vegetable in the entire world, or heck, the whole universe, it would undoubtedly be cabbage. Why choose to be a cabbage when you can be a sexy, expensive vegetable like a truffle? Well, here’s why. Cabbages are incredibly delicious, nutritious, cheap (okay, not a quality I want to take on but), and ubiquitous.
I posted a cabbage roll recipe video that went viral a while back. One of the reasons it went viral was because so many people were excited to tell me more about their country’s version of cabbage rolls. From Iraqi dolmas to Polish golabki, there are so many variations of cabbage rolls that are equally adored by many. My old recipe, which you can find [here], has pork filling and stewed with homemade chicken consomme.
I realize that pork and meat options can not be enjoyed by everyone, so here is a vegan recipe that everyone can enjoy and that is just as good.
Tips & Tricks*
There’s more rice to filling ratio for this recipe than a regular cabbage roll recipe because the warm rice will act as a binder. It’s imperative to use warm rice instead of day-old rice because warm rice has a sticky tendency that allows the filling to hold shape.
For any leftover filling, eat it sauteed the next day. It’s an excellent substitute for scrambled eggs for breakfast.
(Yields 8 cabbage rolls)
- 8 cabbage leaves
- 1 cup pureed tomato sauce
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- Olive oil, parsley, and vegan sour cream for garnish
- 1 firm tofu
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup carrot, finely diced
- 1 cup warm cooked rice*
- 2 tbsp vegan oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- pinch of salt
- black pepper
- Flip the cabbage and make 1 inch deep incisions to peel the cabbage leaves.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves. Place the cabbage leaves into boiling water and cover. Cook for 3 minutes or until the leaves are tender and slightly translucent.
- Dab any excess moisture from the cabbage leaves.
- Remove any large stems.
- Drain the tofu. Place the tofu on a clean linen towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Place the drained tofu in a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix.
**Assembly & Cooking**
- Scoop ½ cup of the filling into the center of the cabbage leaves.
- Tuck the sides of the leaves and roll into a tight roll.
- Oil a heavy-duty pot and place the cabbage leaves seam side down.
- Heat on high heat until the pot comes up to temperature and the rolls start sizzling.
- Cook until the bottom has turned golden brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and stock.
- When the sauce starts simmering, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover the pot with the lid slightly ajar. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the cabbage has turned translucent.
- Serve with olive oil, vegan sour cream, and parsley. Enjoy!
Hi, I’m Tina aka Doobydobap!
Food is my medium to tell stories and connect with people who share the same passion. My recipes are a culmination of my experiences. I hope you enjoy recreating them at home, and if you do, make sure to tag me on Instagram!
Hey Doobies, thanks for visiting! Join my mailing list for more delicious recipes and stories.