The drained canned corn lays on the hot sizzling stone plate, smothered in mayonnaise and tucked under blanket of golden brown mozzarella. She makes a scene when she arrives because she deserves to be the center of attention.
Written by Doobydobap
What is K-elote?
K-elote is an example of when two great things come together to create something even greater. One of my favorite late-night orders at pubs is Korean corn cheese-- it's honestly a sensual experience.
Yes, she's gorgeous as is, but I always miss a hint of acidity when I'm eating cheesy corn. Since everything is so heavy, I was inspired by the elote en vaso sold on the streets in Mexico. The cilantro and squeeze of lime + chili powder or tajin is a perfect way to offset the unctuousness from the cheesy corn.
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 2 tbsp mayo (Japanese mayo preferred but any mayo is fine)
- ½ tbsp sugar (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Black pepper
- 100g or ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (for the stringy pull)
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Cotija cheese
- Tajin or Chili Powder spice (Tajin if you want a little acidity, chili powder if you want a little spice)
*If you’ve never tried Tajin before, it’s a seasoning blend of mild chili powder, lime, and sea salt. It’s usually eaten with fruit, and when you go to Mexico there are lots of street vendors with carts selling fruit on the stick with tajin seasoning. I personally LOVE it, especially with watermelon or pineapple, but if you haven’t tried it before, I recommend trying it with fruit before putting it on your food because it can be a hit or miss for some.
- Preheat your oven to 450 F / 235C
- In a large bowl, add your drained corn, mayonnaise, and sugar together. Season with pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the mixture on a skillet or an oven-proof container. The plate I used is a cast iron slab I got in Korea for five bucks in a local market. They might have it in h-mart, but here's the next best thing that I would recommend from Amazon. It's a small lodge cast iron skillet pan that's oven proof + with a handle! It allows the heat to retain for longer and therefore sizzle when you are serving it. All in all, it's very versatile so I would definitely recommend having one!
- *I made pepper lunch steak corn rice in a skillet like this if you want to check it out!
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top, and Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the top is nice and golden brown.
- Garnish with cilantro, cotija cheese, and tajin/chili powder.
Hi, I’m Tina aka Doobydobap!
Food is my medium to tell stories and connect with people who share the same passion. My recipes are a culmination of my experiences. I hope you enjoy recreating them at home, and if you do, make sure to tag me on Instagram!
Hey Doobies, thanks for visiting! Join my mailing list for more delicious recipes and stories.